ruined medieval fortified city of the old Zeta near Ulqin on raised ground
above of lake of Shasi, is one of the most interesting dead cities of the
Shas was mentioned for the first time in he 11th century as a bishop’s
city. In about 1183 it was taken by Stefan Nemanja and joined to Rashka
together with the other towns of ancient Zeta. It was destroyed by the
Mongolians in 1242 and renewed by Queen Jelena. It was completely deserted
after it was taken by the Turks in 1571.
According to the 14th and 15th century tradition, Shasi had as many
churches as the year has days, but today the foundations of only eight
churches can be discerned in the ruins. The two largest are the older (about
1300) Romanescue Cathedral of St.John the Baptist in the highest part of
the city, and newer Gothic Franciscan church of St. Mary in the suburban
valley.They both had a single nave divided into two parts by a low
partitioning wall, and a timbered roof. All the churches in Shas had
architectural l decorations and frescoes, and in some of them traces of
paint can still be discerned on the walls. Archaeological research of this
dead city is under way.
content pursuant to§ 6 MDStV: Shaban Burri
The author is
not responsible for any contents linked or referred to from his
pages - unless he has full knowledge of illegal contents and would
be able to prevent the visitors of his site fromviewing those pages.
If any damage occurs by the use of information presented there, only
the author of the respective pages might be liable, not the one who
has linked to these pages. Furthermore the author is not liable for
any postings or messages published by users of discussion boards,
guestbooks or mailinglists provided on his page.